Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summit of the Alleganies: Moss Run, Alleghany, and White Sulphur Springs


The train of VAPX empties previously seen in Clifton Forge climbs to the summit by Moss Run



A distant view of the switch to single track near Moss Run.


Looking west at the now unused tower at the summit of the Alleghanies, Alleghany, VA


Looking east. Here, luck was not with me and no train appeared.


The tunnels at Alleghany


Portal to portal at Alleghany.


Here came my luck: after taking a backroad over to White Sulfur Springs, VA, I heard a train on the scanner and took a chance road to catch it. Seeing the rail bed I ran up an embankment just in time to catch this loaded coal train bound for Newport News fighting the grade to Alleghany.


Aside from catching the train itself, this power of two beaten up C40-8s is extremely rare on such a train. In fact, seeing hundreds of such a train pass by my window in Richmond, VA, I can't think of another case where a duo was left to power these extremely heavy trains.



Some coal loads to newport news are 150 cars, others are 80-100. I got lost on the car count but considering the one-engine helper this was likely a smaller sized train, as I can't see how it could make the grade with 150 cars and two DC units up front.



The helper enters and exits the White Sulphur Springs tunnel. I-64 is overhead. I think this is a rare photo location, and I only came across it by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment